Monday, October 6, 2008

How much does Value cost?

People work everyday, for one sole reason, to get paid. People work so hard so at the end of the day so they have a little “spending money”. Many people waste the hard worked money on useless things that they don’t need. They are obsessed in showing off these expensive, but useless objects. From Hummers to golden toilet seats, 300inch plasma screens to golden teeth. People don’t understand value.

Wait for it to hit seven o’clock… wait for it…wait for it…………..GO! I get up, run down the stairs to see the most beautiful thing in the world, a lighten tree with multiple wrapped boxes underneath its pedestal. If you haven’t figured it out, it is Christmas morning at my house on a snowy December 25th morning. With a half eaten cookie and a hot co-co mug empty, I run to get my parent conscious. As I make the sprint to their room, I overheard them groveling to “it’s not 7 o’clock”. Wake up, wake up! It is time to open presents! They slump out of bead awkwardly and drag themselves to the living room where the spectacle was about to appear.

As I wait for my parents to make the usual cup of Joe, I empty out my stocking at the same time as my little brother Riley. We yell out the things we got. Gum, Yo-yo, paddle ball, candy cane, and as many things that could fit is that oversized sock. But that was just the beginning. As my parents take a seat, my mother fills her obsession of video-taping everything that seems important in my childhood. Riley and I grab a present one by one, and open it up, yell what it is, then to fill my mother’s needs we smile and hold up each gift to the camera. My father laughs at what my mother makes us do for the camera, still half asleep himself. We open another and another, picking one, and waiting for my mom to approve, she always want us to open the best for last. As the number of presents slims by the millisecond, we lay our eyes on the mother load. We look as my mother shakes her head in approval, and we count down, 3, 2, 1, GO! We tear every last millimeter from the box. We then jump up and down in excitement. As we then sit to play with each and every gift. It’s priceless.

As the logo lights up and I see the bright white screen, the blue selection bar scrolls away. I select the playlist, picking the song that fits the mood. Crank up the volume, it’s the best thing in the world. I love my iPod. I have a 5th generation iPod video. I snarl when I people show off their new iPods. I like mine even though it’s not the newest. I got my iPod for Christmas of 2006. It was an amazing surprise. I have all of my favorite songs on it. I have podcasts which I love because they’re free! Because I have an iPod video, I can play TV shows and movies and of course video podcasts! I bring it with me everywhere, except for school (I follow school rules, don’t worry). I listen to it when I’m bored, when I feel a craving for music, or when I’m going out. It’s like having a personal jukebox. I have all my media at the touch of my finger. I have freedom to control my personal sound wave. An iPod is a music evolution. Apple has revolutionized the way we listen to music. Forget the CD players and welcome to the 21st century of the iPod.

I enjoy both very much. They are very different with similarities, the oxymoron of my life. While I would never want to give up my Christmas morning, my iPod is my mental escape to my music. There is an overlay; I got my iPod on Christmas morning. It would be tough to give up one or the other. They are the things in my life that are important to me and that are what makes me happy. So in a world where the word “priceless” is thrown around so much, I can say that my two things are priceless to me.

6 comments:

Nathaniel said...

“Hippo. Room”? 0......k
Casey,
Your essay was ok. It told me that your two valuable objects are your I-pod and Christmas Morning. It seems as though you are saying that Opening presents on Christmas morning is most valuable to you. Also I observed that you think people spend their money on worthless objects and I agree.

I thought that when you described Christmas morning it was very vivid and clear. “With a half eaten cookie and a hot co-co mug empty,” I think was your best description. I think you could have went into a lot more depth about Christmas morning. You didn’t really describe that much.

I would have to say the essay’s overall strength was its ability to put the objects or moments in motion. The introduction was also very good. I liked how you said “Many people waste the hard worked money on useless things… From Hummers to golden toilet seats, 300inch plasma screens to golden teeth. People don’t understand value.” I agreed with you 100% about some of those things.

I have many suggestions for you to make your essay a lot better. I think that you should increase your conclusion and comparison length because 1 paragraph just isn’t enough. Also I think that you should add a bit more description on both topics. I look forward to reading your final draft.

-Nate B-Block

tom said...

Your two valuable objects were your ipod and Christmas morning. I think you are saying that Christmas Morning is your most valuable. I know it would be for me over my ipod.

I think that christmas morning was described well, I agree with nathaniel on the cookie and the hot coco mug. Well you could have described more, but it was good.

Your organization was good. You never confused me, even though the name did when i looked at it. And i agree with nathaniel on the intro.

The only suggestion i have is describe more. I disagree with nathaniel this time, one paragraph conclusion is fine, it is what i did. overall, nive job casey, nice job.

Will the pill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Will the pill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Will the pill said...

The author, Casey, tells me that he values both his Christmas morning, and his Ipod. He says that both of his items "piceless" in a way. Casey also states that people spend money worthlessly.

I think Casey described the Christmas morning the best. "A lighten tree with multiple wrapped presents underneath its pedistal" This gives me a great description of Christmas morning at his house. I know exactly what this looks like from his description.

Casey's strength is how he puts the Christmas morning, and his Ipod together smoothly. "We tear every last millimeter from the box.As the logo lights up and I see the bright white screen" Casey does a great job of this, as you can see.

Casey, consider comparing and contrasting each of these items more. You have some comparasons, but you seem to be lacking some. That is my only advice, overall NICE JOB!!!!!!

kyleenglish9 said...

I. I thought it was good idea to talk about how all the people in our world are always blowing their hard-earned cash on useless things, that despite what they claim, they really could live without. It’s true that the greatest things in life are free… and I’m pretty darn sure that I’m surviving just fine in life without a golden toilet seat.
II. I think he described the Christmas morning scene very well, but maybe I just think that because Christmas morning is my favorite day of the whole year. I do exactly what he does on that incredibly special morning, and it made me laugh to know that my parents do the exact same things as his on that amazing morning.
III. I think the real strength in this essay is good humor. The essay made me laugh (in a good way) more than once or twice, which was a good way of pulling me in, and I really enjoyed reading it. And it wasn’t even like he was trying to be funny. He just talked about everyday life and made it humorous, which I really enjoyed.
IV. One improvement that I could suggest for this essay is to add more and more descriptions on the similarities and differences between the moment and the object. Although the ones he has are good, there aren’t that many, and with a little more thoroughness, the essay could be a really well-written piece of work.